petitversailles

Le Petit Versailles is a NYC public community garden in the East Village that presents a season of events including art exhibitions, music, film/video, performance, theater, workshops and community projects from May - October. LPV is a project of Allied Productions, Inc., a non profit arts organization. http://www.alliedproductions.org

Monday, August 14, 2006

SAVE NATURE - SAVE CULTURE


August 19 Saturday 8pm

Pilar Viviente (spain)
Save Nature-Save Culture
Postcard Installation & Video Screening

Sarah Kipp (nyc)
“tales of texaco”
multi-media performance

Le Petit Versailles Garden
346 East Houston Street < Avenues B & C >
F / V trains to Second Ave. Walk east on Houston St. or
J / M trains to Delancey. Walk northeast to Houston St.
Rain or Shine. FREE or voluntary donation.
Press contact: Peter Cramer 212-529-8815

Pilar Viviente (spain)
The Dream Of An Eye screening (images and sound from the nature, in mixture with Natasha Atlas soundtrack) shows a natural environment in a natural little garden located in New York City. The Dream Of An Eye screening and the Petit Versailles garden goes together, both SAVE NATURE, developing and saving nature in different ways and with different mediums (speaking about nature with images, working with her... with a digital camera or with a bucket and spade).
All those buildings and skyscrapers around the garden make much more relevant the message SAVE NATURE.
People will associate books, city and culture (culture of files) as a specific representation of New York City (Books making skyscrapers).
SAVE CULTURE talk us about books, about city urban planning, how we build and how we preserve green spaces, in other word, how we SAVE NATURE. No more NATURE VS CULTURE, but the symbiosis NATURE/CULTURE. Saving the nature we save the culture. Save culture means also save nature. Those means still open for the reader or audience at the event. And I hope nobody will live the garden without his or her postcard (200 postcards).

Sarah Kipp
As a performer, I work alone with the technical aid of my partner who deals with light and sound. My work incorporates the projected image, pre-recorded sound, and music. I project images in the form of slides onto my own physical self; face and body. The images that I use are portrait paintings that I have done in the past as well as old family slides of myself as a child, my father, my grandparents, and my mother. By coupling these images with my current self, a new identity emerges. I tell stories about life, memory, and dreams. These stories are extremely honest, sometimes painful, yet often comedic. I also incorporate music, as I lip-synch to various nostalgic melodies from the past. I am in the process of creating a new story to present in your garden. In this piece, I would also like to weave lip-synching into the narrative. I am greatly attracted to the fact that the work would be presented in a garden. I have performed outdoors in the past, and the element of nature, coupled with the technical aspect of the performance (the projected image) creates a queer and beautiful sense of irony. My projects aim is to reach out to a community of viewers. Through my stories, I hope to strike an empathetic realization of humanness to those who view the work. I am interested in my audiences interpretations, and what they might discover about themselves, their family, or their world.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is not 200 postcard but 2000 postcard for the audiencie. By Pilar Viviente

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home